Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Being humble isn't easy yet I'm trying

Humility is a spiritual and mental muscle that must be exercised for strength. My humility muscles are extremely weak. I lose so many opportunities to exercise humility in the moment of interaction everyday. I often apologize for my mistakes later because I had an opportunity to realize that I was wrong. Humility is also about being willing to be wrong even when you are right for the sake of the other person? I would like to hear your feedback.

The L.E.A.D. Ambassadors along with Major General Ronald Johnson, Taz Anderson and C.J. Stewart
"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." ~Rick Warren

I was having a conversation with my wife trying to come up with a clear definition of humility. One that would allow me to exercise humility because I clearly know what it means and also have the awareness to do it when it is necessary.

I like Rick Warren's quote above because my problem with being humble at times is the thought that I have to "lessen" myself. If any perfect people are reading this, they won't understand how "lessening" yourself can be difficult. Rick Warren is teaching that instead of "lessening" yourself, think less of yourself. That's not easy to do either but I am willing to do that to make someone else feel good. I want others to feel good around me. That brings me joy.

"Life is a long lesson in humility." James M. Barrie

We also discussed a couple stages of development that must occur before you can achieve the fullness of humility.

Exposure to life experiences can harden and soften us as people. If you were raised by people that didn't own up to their mistakes, it makes it difficult for to be humble.

Purpose in life provides much needed accountability and leads to humility. I'm more willing to think less of myself now that I know my purpose in life. My purpose in life is to glorify God through the empowerment of others.  I'm fortunate to serve the world with excellence through L.E.A.D., Inc. and Diamond Directors.

Humility is the result of good and bad life experiences and realizing your life purpose.

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment