Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Overcoming the storms

Guest blog post by: Marvin R. Goodman II

How did this happen? How did we go from having our own home, a new truck, and easy living to joblessness, financial uncertainty, carless, and no place of our own? Mom says “It’s just a test and a temporary situation. Just do what you need to do to get where you want to be; we have your back,” but I can’t help but to wonder how they keep it all together when it seems like we just can’t catch a break.

My high school days have been reeked with challenges: the loss of my grandma in 2009, watching the debilitating effects of Dementia on my granddad, losing our home and our car in 2010, and yet, through it all, Mom finds a way to keep the family balanced. Her ‘keep it moving’ attitude is what has helped me make it through. After all, despite our downfalls, this spring I have the opportunity to join the ranks of degree-seeking, career-minded student athletes across the nation, and that is exciting.

My goals are to someday play major league baseball and to become an FBI agent. I realize now that I dropped the ball in high school, but I hope to make a stunning recovery in college. Mom pushed her way through and graduated Summa Cum Laude last May with two bachelors’ degrees and I aspire to graduate with honors as well. For me, going to college equates to a soldier being awarded the Medal of Honor. Part of my plan to get there is to use my athletic talents as a means to my desired end – scholarship offers.

I have a new appreciation for life’s storms because they help build character and help make us stronger. I know I have what it takes to succeed in college and I look forward to every potential opportunity before me. In the words of my late great-grandmother, “I can show you better than I can tell you.”


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being willing to be transparent and share your trials. Although my storms were different when I was in your shoes years ago as a high school student, they were equally puzzling, exhausting and trying- just as yours are today.

    The good news is - I survived and I'm confident that you will too. We will do all that we can to help you achieve your dreams.


    "I am my brother's keeper and together we will achieve greatness."

    - Coach Kelli

    ReplyDelete