Monday, August 1, 2011

A day of service at Grove Park Elementary School

For the second year, the L.E.A.D. Ambassadors and Jr. Ambassadors had the opportunity to help teachers at Grove Park Elementary School prepare for the first day of school on August 8th.  Service is one of the four pillars of excellence for L.E.A.D.

I attended Grove Park from kindergarten to 5th grade and those were some of the best years of my life.  Teachers served as mentors as well as an extended family.  As a child at Grove Park, I remembered walking through the halls feeling that I could truly be anything that I put my mind to.  I was blessed to have caring parents and the school served as partners to my family.  The community was strong and anything other than excellence was unacceptable.  I felt that all of my dreams could become reality.

Today was special because the young men in my organization L.E.A.D. that I mentor had an opportunity to serve others.  Leaders are developed by serving others.  This day of service also gave them a sense of investment to their community.  Martin Luther King Jr. once said that everyone can be great because everyone can serve.  L.E.A.D. has a day of service at least once per month every month throughout the year.

The doors at Grove Park will be open to hundreds of smiles next week.  Principal Caitlin Sims will give hundreds of hugs and future leaders of Atlanta will be nurtured.  It is a honor and a privilege to give back to a school that poured so much love into me.

"Everyone can  be great because everyone can serve".  Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment