Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sheltering Arms Covering Atlanta

I have been a fan and supporter of Sheltering Arms Early Education and Family Centers for three years.  The staff is amazing and the youth are truly being developed academically and socially.  I am convinced that our future Mayor of Atlanta, Governor of Georgia and President of the United States is being taught in a Sheltering Arms Center.

Sheltering Arms is Georgia's oldest nonprofit early childhood education program, and one of its most respected. Our mission is to serve working families with high quality, affordable child care and education and comprehensive support services, as well as to provide professional development for early childhood educators and community outreach. Founded by Atlanta volunteers in 1888, Sheltering Arms now annually serves more than 3,600 children, ages six weeks to five years old, and their families, in 16 centers in 6 metro Atlanta counties. Sheltering Arms is a tax-exempt 501(c)3 organization.

I was able to read to a Pre-K age three class today and I had so much fun.  It was early morning and my coffee hadn't kicked in yet but when a classroom full of three year old boys and girls scream, everybody wakes up.



I shared my favorite book "We Are The Ship" and had the opportunity to talk them about my childhood in Atlanta.  One young lady wants to be a dentist when she grows up and another young man wants to be a baseball player like me.  I explained to them how I train baseball players so that they may use their academic and baseball skills to get a scholarship for college.  It was brought to my attention that college costs $8 so I may need to find another job.

I read three books and they were so attentive and comprehended the stories so well.  They were polite and asked great questions.  The good news for Atlanta is that Sheltering Arms serves students that will matriculate to Atlanta Public Schools. The students that I met today are going to be a part of a new wave of students that respect the opportunity to receive an APS education like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Walt Frazier.

The teachers were amazing except the one that is a New Orleans Saints fan.  We will let her slide since she is doing a great job with the students.

Sheltering Arms has a clear mission and be assured that it is being fulfilled.  I gave 45 minutes of my time today to inspire future leaders of tomorrow.  My time for a better Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment