Saturday, November 17, 2012

I am a household guardian

Words can't express how proud I am to carry the Stewart last name.  Stewart means "household guardian".  As far as I know, my Stewart family name goes back to my great grandmother Annie Mae Stewart who made Jackson, GA (Butts County) her home.  I remember all of the family reunions as a kid going to the "country".  I was one of "city boy" Stewart's.

My grandmother Elizabeth Dunn moved to Atlanta and raised the family with my grandfather Horace Dunn in the Pittsburgh Community of Atlanta near Turner Field.  My dad, uncles and aunts attended Atlanta Public Schools K-12.  They attended Gideons Elementary School, W.L. Parks Middle School and my dad graduated from Price High School.  My aunts and uncles graduated from J.E. Brown High School when the family moved to Beecher Street. Go Jaguars!

I was raised at Grove Park Elementary School (Atlanta Public Schools) grades 1-5 and was some of the best years of my life.  This was the school that my mother attended along with her brothers and sisters.  My success as a student was because of the constant involvement of my parents.  Grove Park always knew that they could count on my parents.  That legacy continues at Grove Park under the leadership of it's current principal Caitlin Sims.

As an adult and a proud Grove Park Elementary School alum, I now serve as the founder and CEO of L.E.A.D., Inc.  Our mission is to provide at-risk inner city Atlanta youth males with access to higher education and civic engagement through baseball.  We currently serve over 250 youth in the Atlanta Public School System with year round baseball and youth development.  Click here to check out our IMPACT STATS!

On Friday, November 16th, my family was honored with dedication of the Stewart Family Center at Grove Park Elementary School.  This center is going to empower parents in the community.  With more parent involvement, students will continue to thrive.

I am so glad that my grandmother Elizabeth Dunn was able to see the dedication as she is beginning to have difficulties with her site.


My daughter Mackenna joined us with my niece Kortni who will be a third generation Stewart to attend Grove Park next year as a third grader.

Mackenna and Kortni Stewart with Grandma Dunn at Grove Park
Legacy is very important to me as well as having a good name.  A good name can bring about major change in communities.  Atlanta is my home and I am a guardian of this city!

Left to right: Mr. Dehussia-assistant principal; Marquez Jackson-cousin;  Nicole Stewart-sister; Kortni Stewart-niece; Mackenna Stewart-daughter; Kelli Stewart-wife; CJ Stewart; Caitlin Sims-Principal; Gail Stewart-mother; Willie Stewart-father; Elizabeth Dunn-grandmother (seated)

No comments:

Post a Comment