Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mothers, take us higher


Let's take a pause to recognize that mothers are the salt of the earth.

With the decline of the black male image in America, we need black mothers to be even stronger. We need them to raise the standard higher if we want a better tomorrow for black males.



Today, I asked our L.E.A.D. Ambassadors from Atlanta Public Schools to describe what makes their mother so special and this is what they shared.

L.E.A.D. Ambassador Vernard Kennedy, New Schools at Carver

Without my mom, everything in my daily schedule would be so unorganized. I would have quit so many great things. She continues to push me and I love her for that. She is my inspiration.

L.E.A.D. Ambassador Jalen Cannon, B.E.S.T. Academy

What makes my mother so special is that she is always there for me. When I need something, she helps me get it.


L.E.A.D. Ambassador Amyr Smith, Henry Grady High School

My mother has been a mother and my father. She had to raise two kids on her own and I will be furthering my education as a student-athlete at Morehouse College in the fall because of her.

L.E.A.D. Ambassador D'Angelo Julio, South Atlanta High School


My mother is raising my sister and I by herself and she's been doing a great job. We will both be attending college.



D'Angelo Julio and his twin sister Angelaa

L.E.A.D. Ambassador Tyquavious Noland, Maynard Jackson High School


What makes my mom special is the love that she shows everybody all the time.



L.E.A.D. Ambassador Byron Brinkley, Drew Charter School


My mom is a single mother and she takes care great care of my older brother Brandon and I. Brandon will graduate from Columbus State University tomorrow and I plan to attend the University of Oregon as a student-athlete when I graduate from high school. We've never starved, been homeless nor have I had to sell drugs to get money.

L.E.A.D. Ambassador Jacoby Evans, Booker T. Washington High School


My mom is special because she can bring a smile to anyone's face and she is my ultimate support system.



L.E.A.D. Ambassador D'Anthony Morrow, Benjamin E. Mays High School

My mother makes countless sacrifices for my older sister and I. My older sister graduated from the University of Florida with a law degree. She teaches us how to handle tough situations. She is my mother and also a great friend.

L.E.A.D. Ambassador Cedric Reed, New Schools at Carver c/o 2013, Georgia Highlands College

What makes my mom so special is her willingness to make sacrifices for us. She teaches us to care for others and to never give up.

L.E.A.D. Ambassador Desmond Stegall, Benjamin E. Mays High School c/o 2011, Grambling State University


My mother is everything I need and want. She can be my best friend, biggest critic, motivator, #1 supporter and most importantly my mother.


L.E.A.D. Ambassador Sean Warren, North Atlanta High School

My mom is special because she makes incredible sacrifices for me.

###

No comments:

Post a Comment