Wednesday, October 12, 2016

At 30,000 Feet


Today was a special day for L.E.A.D. (Launch, Expose, Advise, Direct). We presented L.E.A.D. to Major League Baseball Players Association at their headquarters in New York.

L.E.A.D. Ambassador Vernard Kennedy (V.K.) is a senior at New Schools at Carver (Atlanta Public Schools) and he joined Kelli Stewart (L.E.A.D.'s Executive Director) and I today as the closer. It was his first flight and here is his reflection from today.

30,000 Feet - Establishing the Vision and Making Decisions

In The Clouds - Place of Protection of the Vision and Provision

On The Ground - Place of Growth and Harvest

Vernard's 30,000 foot aerial view

Why were you chosen to present to Major League Baseball Players Association along with Coach Kelli and Coach C.J.?

V.K.: I feel that I was chosen because I am an example of the process of becoming a L.E.A.D. Ambassador. I represent the future leadership of L.E.A.D. I have been in the organization since the 6th grade at Sylvan Hills Middle School (Atlanta Public Schools). I am also great at representing the organization and telling others about the organization.

How did it feel mentally to cruise on a plane at 30,000 feet?

V.K.: I was nervous at first but as the ride went along, I felt stable and safe.

How did it feel physically to cruise on a plane at 30,000 feet?

V.K.: At first it felt like I was on a roller coaster. The feeling was exciting and scary at the same time.

How did you view the world from 30,000 feet?

V.K.: I tried to compare it to Georgia and I realized that there are more places that I can travel outside of Atlanta.

What surprised you the most during the presentation to Major League Baseball Players Association?

V.K.: What surprised me in the meeting was the collective power that the people amongst me had.

How has your Atlanta Public Schools (APS) educational experience prepared you for the presentation to Major League Baseball Players Association?

V.K.: APS has prepared me by giving me opportunities to tell my life story. I am comfortable with telling my life story and proud to share it with new people without feeling ashamed.

How has your L.E.A.D. experience prepared you for the presentation to Major League Baseball Players Association?

V.K.: L.E.A.D. prepared me to also tell my story without being ashamed. L.E.A.D. has also prepared me because it gave me the context to speak with clarity in the meeting.

What world problem do you want to solve?

V.K.: I want to solve poverty in the inner cities throughout America because there is a lot of unnoticed talent in inner cities. As an inner city Atlanta teenage Black male, I feel that I get overlooked because of negative bias against me because of my skin color.

What college do you plan to attend fall 2017?

V.K.: I plan to attend Kennesaw State University. However, if I get the Posse Scholarship, I will be attending Texas A&M.

What major do you plan to pursue in college?

V.K.: I want to study business and marketing.

How has your experience at MLB in New York prepared you to lead in Atlanta for the remainder of 2016?

V.K.: The experience taught me to continue to focus on being successful and significant. Success is based on what you get and significance is based on what you give. Meeting with Mr. Dave Winfield was amazing. He reminded me that there is always someone watching you. He said that it may not be now or two years from now but that I will be rewarded for my commitment to excellence.

Mr. Dave Winfield and Vernard Kennedy

With respect to the leadership within L.E.A.D. using Coach C.J. (CEO), Coach Kelli (Executive Director), Coach Kevin Young (Program Director) and you (L.E.A.D. Ambassador), who's positioned at 30,000 Feet, In The Clouds and On The Ground and why?

V.K.: Coach C.J. serves at 30,000 feet because he has the most responsibility. Coach Kelli is in the clouds because her responsibilities allow her to pass her influence down unto the ground level. Coach Young is on the ground because he is actually involved with all of the student-athletes of L.E.A.D. the most. I have a lot of respect for Coach Young.

What do you need to do to get 30,000 Feet for L.E.A.D.?

V.K.: I need to have results to show that I'm are the right person for high level situations. I'm well on my way. Last year, was selected for the the 21st Century Leaders (21CL) 20 under 20. Now I have the power to nominate a L.E.A.D. Ambassador for the 2017 21CL 20u20. I have more power than Coach C.J. in this situation because I have received the award and he hasn't.

Omar Minaya, Kevin McGuinness, Vernard Kennedy, C.J. Stewart, Kelli Stewart, Jeffrey Hammonds, and Dave Winfield

###

No comments:

Post a Comment