Tuesday, March 8, 2011

God is in control

The view is so clear from up here as I fly into Orlando with Braves baseball on my mind. Number 22 in right field is a living testimony that dreams become real. What does tomorrow hold? I don't know, but I rest assured that God is in control!



I want tomorrow to bring me more resources so that more African American males will graduate from APS high schools and enter college. More resources will allow me to provide more mentors that can show them the way. These young men are smart contrary to popular belief. They need mentorship on a consistent basis more than math tutors. They need to understand how to manage their own lives. They don't want to fail but failure is the only option when no one will walk the walk with you.

I want next week to bring me more resources so that more African American males in Atlanta will compete in baseball rather than just playing baseball. What is the difference? To compete requires skill development which demands sacrifice, patience and commitment from both the player and the coach. To play only requires showing up. The rigors of baseball have prepared me to be a successful professional off the baseball field. It can do the same for many other young men in inner city Atlanta. Baseball and baseball only made academics relevant for me.

I want next month to bring me more resources so that more African American males in Atlanta can understand the true meaning of leadership through service and civic engagement. Leadership is an action word and not just an adjective. Leadership doesn't have a starting age. Service begins now! There is no reason that young men in Atlanta shouldn't have opportunities to be involved in service every month throughout the year. If we want them "straighten up", we have to first meet them where they are and L.E.A.D. the way.

I want next year to bring me more resources so that more African American males in Atlanta can be exposed to the amazing opportunities that exist right here in our city. We have more Fortune 100 companies in Atlanta than any other city in America. We can do more than taking a bus load of students on a field trip. What is the follow up? We peak their interest but what happens when the flame dies out.

Only God knows the destination of L.E.A.D. He has placed me in a leadership position to lead and I humbly accept it. I'm at the top of this vision and it is my daily prayer for wisdom and courage to fulfill the mission of L.E.A.D. We Launch, Expose, Advise and Direct! We achieve excellence in Academics, Athletics, Service/Civic Engagement and Exposure!

God is in control!

No comments:

Post a Comment