Monday, March 18, 2013

Tommy Thomas "The Barber": A living legend

It is so much more than a barber shop. "Tommy's" is an Atlanta institution and he is an Atlanta icon. His father was the original owner and after his death, Tommy continues to keep the legacy going strong serving generations of Atlantans. The shop has been a community staple for over 50 years. The next time that you are in the World of Coca-Cola, check out his commemorative bottles. He has two of them!

Thomas Barber Shop Coke Commemorative Bottle featured at the World of Coca-Cola
I began getting my haircut at Tommy's two years ago by accident when I noticed my friend Leo Mazzone going in the shop. Tommy introduced himself to me and said, "Hey! You need a haircut. Sit in Swift's chair and let him take care of you!" And I have been a faithful client every since.

I spend 4 days per week in the shop catching up on news and meeting some of the most amazing people in the city of Atlanta. I've met Governor Deal and Don Keough in the shop along with Coach Vince Dooley, Charlie Finch, Charles Wellborn and Angela King.

Saturday's are the best days to go because Tommy always has hot donuts.

Tommy cares about this city and everyone in it. You will never see him drink anything other than Coke and I believe that food from Goldberg's next door will show up on his X-Ray.

Tommy Thomas with the L.E.A.D. Ambassadors at the 2011 L.E.A.D. Dinner With Champions Awards Ceremony
He has been a faithful supporter of inner city Atlanta youth through my non-profit organization L.E.A.D. We honored him in 2011 at our annual Dinner With Champions Awards Ceremony as a community partner. My Ambassadors love going to Tommy's. It is more than a haircut.  It is an experience.

Tommy Thomas with L.E.A.D. Ambassador Joseph Bester. Several important people have spent time in the back of Tommy's Barber Shop.
My daughter's love going to Tommy's because he gives them lollipops or money to get yogurt next door at YogurtLand.

Tommy is celebrating his birthday today and I wish that I could announce it to the world so that every person knows it. America is a better place with Tommy in it. He is a living legend.

Tommy Thomas receiving his 2011 L.E.A.D. Community Partner Award

No comments:

Post a Comment